Sunday, July 22, 2012

Warm Marinated Fresh Mushrooms with Feta & Whole Wheat Pasta


As everyone knows, I love mushrooms.  I’m sure you’re this close to being sick of hearing me say it, so I’ll try to hold off on the whole mushroom thing for a while after today.  In our Shul, we are sometimes treated to a marinated mushroom salad during Kiddush on Shabbat.  It’s really good.  Extremely garlicky, with little bits of scallions and whole chili peppers in it.  I know where they get it, but don’t really have the chutzpah to ask for the actual recipe – after all, they do sell it.  Anyway, I figured I could try to make something similar here at home.  I posted on my favorite Facebook sites and got some really great advice on making the marinated mushrooms.  I did get some interesting advice to cook/boil the mushrooms first – but it was after I had already made my version of the mushrooms…so it will have to wait for the next batch!  I was very excited to try them out on my Shabbat guests this week…

Marinated Mushrooms:
Serve room temperature or warm...
not cold!!
This past week we have been blessed to have one of my son’s dear friends visiting Chicago and staying with us after just finishing his service in the Israeli Army (Yay Tal!).  We got to know and love Tal when he was going to Yeshiva here with my son, and he has really become a part of the family.  So at Shabbat lunch, I asked for his honest opinion about my marinated mushrooms.  His reply surprised me – “I expected them to be warm”.  It got me thinking...what if we actually warmed the mushrooms with some whole wheat spaghetti and topped it with some tangy feta cheese?  It could be a perfect dairy Nine Days dish.  Today, I boiled up some pasta and tried it out…and the Warm Marinated Fresh Mushrooms with Feta & Whole Wheat Pasta was fabulous!!!  The cheese really did compliment the vinegary/garlicky taste of the mushrooms – it was another great way to use the yummy marinated mushrooms I had made.

Well, at the end of our Shabbat meal my Mom (KIH) gave one of her famous comments “Wow Sharon, you must have made enough food for an army!”  I turned to her and smiled.  “You know Mom…why don’t we ask Tal!  So Tal…you just got out of the army – was there really enough food for an entire army??”  Tal laughed and said “Well, maybe not an entire army…but maybe a small base!” We love you Tal, and you are always welcome here!  Maybe we’ll even come visit you in Israel!!!

Warm Marinated Fresh Mushrooms with Feta & Whole Wheat Pasta
2 pounds small whole white button mushrooms, washed
2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
4 green onions, thinly sliced
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
½ cup white vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
4 small hot red peppers (optional)

Combine all the ingredients in a large zip top bag, then seal it tightly.  Gently massage the bag to incorporate all the ingredients.  Refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.  May be made up to 3 days in advance.

The pretty mushrooms...
The better to eat you my dear!!
 The fresh herbs...
The dried chilies from last years garden!
 So simple...it all goes into a Ziplock bag!
Great for a delicious side or...
 Saute the mushrooms with some
whole wheat spaghetti...
 Then top with the Feta!!  Awesome!!
(Thanks Tal!)

Kosher Everyday is dedicated to the memory of my father
Dr. Theodore Saltzberg - Tuvia Ben Nachum Z”L
May his memory be for a blessing - Yihi zichro baruch.

Look for additional information about Edible Experience Kosher Everyday at www.koshereveryday.com,
aish.com, Mishpacha Magazine’s Kosher Inspired Magazine,
The Chicago Tribune Syndication,
 or on Facebook at Edible Experience by Sharon Matten.

These recipes are for sole, personal use of visitors to Sharon Matten -Edible Experience Kosher Everyday. Edible Experience Kosher Everyday recipes are for your enjoyment but are not to be posted or reprinted without express permission from Sharon Matten. Thank you!!

Congratulations!
KosherEveryday is one of the finalists for the 
2011 CBS Most Valuable Blogger Awards!! 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for inspiring me! I have included this recipe in my August Roundup. Please stop by and let me know what you think of the post.

    ReplyDelete