Sunday, March 18, 2012

Passover Cholent

The Bat Mtizvah Cake!
Thank G-d we were blessed with having my daughter’s Bat Mitzvah last weekend.  We were so proud (Kenayna Hara) of her efforts in learning for her Bat Mitzvah and the wonderful d’var torah she gave at her party on Sunday.  Her mom (me!) had a lot to do too!  The most special part was being able to put together a photo montage showing her growing up, and speaking to her publicly about her namesakes and about how proud we are of the young woman she has become (I know…we all teared up at the Bat Mitzvah too!).  Aside from the fun of putting together the décor (m&m themed – her initials are MM), menu, and great projects and activities for her classmates, I got to do one of my all-time favorite things – bake!  For weeks I stocked the freezer with French Macarons, cake pops, devil dogs (whoopee pies to the uninitiated), cupcakes, and other treats – SO fun!  I also got to let loose and make some cakes that I would normally never make.  I’m posting some of the pictures so you can vicariously share in the simcha with us!


Although it was an awesome Bat Mitzvah weekend, now that it’s over, we’re trying to dig out from all the Purim mishloach manot, and all the remnants from the Bat Mitzvah – ugh. And we all know what looms in the near future after Purim…the P holiday.  Every year I use my favorite Pre-Pesach (yes I used the “P” word!) planning tool, Mastercook, to plan my shopping and menus for the holiday.  It’s what actually helps me maintain the façade of normalcy during this crazy time.  I’m going back to my old tried and true menus and recipes (for example my favorite Sharon Matten’s Famous Matzoh Balls – I have a whole wheat version!) because sometimes you just need to do what’s easiest and guaranteed to work.   In my last post, I promised to share with you some of my favorite Pesach. They are all easy, fast, and feed a lot of people (bonus!).   This week’s recipe is my version of Passover Cholent, and is based upon the recipe from “The Complete Passover Cookbook” by Frances R. AvRutick.  Published in 1981, it is a 420 page tome of exclusively Passover recipes.  It’s a great encyclopedia of Passover information and recipes – obviously a labor of love by the author.

You can also refer to some of my previous Pesach articles and recipes to help with your menu preparations.   We’ll get through this together…really, we will!


And if you’re not ready for Pesach yet and need to still get rid of your chametz:

Hope this helps!  More to come…

Passover Cholent
2             large                     onions, quartered
1 ½         pounds                  cholent meat
5-6          large                     potatoes, peeled and halved
1             pound                  kosher for Passover kishke (you can add a second if you like)
½            cup                      ketchup
3             tablespoons         onion soup mix
                                           oil or non-stick vegetable spray
                                           boiling water
Knaidel:
4              large                    eggs
¼             cup                      oil
¼             cup                      water
1              teaspoon              salt
¼             teaspoon              black pepper
1              cup                      matzoh meal

Preheat oven to 225° or 250° F. 

Spray a large oven-safe pot or large roasting pan (or if using a crock pot grease the insert pot)  with non-stick vegetable spray or grease with oil.  Set aside.

To make the knaidel:  Whisk the eggs, oil , water, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.  Add the matzoh meal and stir until all the ingredients are incorporated.  Set aside while preparing the cholent.  The knaidel can be made in advance and refrigerated for a few hours until you are ready to prepare the cholent.

Layer the onions, meat, potatoes, and kishke in the prepared pan.  Cover with the ketchup and onion soup mix.  Form golf-ball sized balls out of the knaidel mixture and place over the cholent.  Cover the entire cholent with boiling water.  Seal the cholent tightly with aluminum foil or a snug fitting lid.  Place in the oven and allow to cook overnight. 

Notes:
  • You can also theoretically put this cholent on a blech or in a crock pot overnight, although I’ve always used the oven method.
  • I usually remove the casing from the kishke and place it in the pan – I find it gives the cholent a great flavor.  You can leave the casing on if you like and slice it when serving the cholent.

Look for additional information about Edible Experience Kosher Everyday at www.koshereveryday.com,
aish.com, Mishpacha Magazine’s Kosher Inspired Magazine,
The Chicago Tribune Syndication,
 or on Facebook at Edible Experience by Sharon Matten.

These recipes are for sole, personal use of visitors to Sharon Matten -Edible Experience Kosher Everyday. Edible Experience Kosher Everyday recipes are for your enjoyment but are not to be posted or reprinted without express permission from Sharon Matten. Thank you!!

Congratulations!
KosherEveryday is one of the finalists for the 
2011 CBS Most Valuable Blogger Awards!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment